RECIPES FROM JENNIE!!!!!

Okay ladies, I have the recipes from Jennie for her homemade cleaners! 
We have discussed my love of lather and fragrance so I will be skipping out on the shampoo and conditioner but I have used and enjoyed the hand soap and laundry detergent :) 




HOMEMADE FOAMING HAND SOAP


This one requires a little bit of cost up front, but will save you tons of money in the long run. It also cuts down on all those plastic bottles going to the landfill.

First you will need to find a Bath & Body Works store. Next buy their anti-bacterial gentle foaming hand soap. They often have these on sale at 3/$10. This works perfect for me because I have one in each of my two bathrooms and one in the kitchen.

Now, when your B & B hand soap runs out, rinse out the bottle and squirt in 1/2 inch of your favorite ultra dish soap. I've used Ivory dish soap before because it's clear and doesn't smell like dish soap. I recently purchased Dawn Plus (on sale of course) in the the Pomegranate scent. I love it. It smells like a hand soap.

After you have squirted in 1/2 inch of dish soap fill the bottle the rest of the way with water. It works best if you run the water slowly down the side so that it doesn't foam up. Put your lid on, give it a good shake and voila!

I've been doing this for about four years. The pumps seem to last around two years. I tried this with the cheaper pumps at the supermarket but they rarely ever last more than one or two refills before they stop working.

I got one bottle of Ivory dish soap in January to use for this purpose only and just used the last of it a couple of weeks ago.

Cost over two years: $10.00 for the pumps + $5.00 for the soap = $15.00


HOMEMADE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER


I know that most of you will not believe this when you read it!

Shampoo:
1 tsp baking soda mixed w/1 cup warm water
Wet hair, pour over hair, work through, massage scalp, rinse thoroughly.

This will not suds up, but it does clean your hair, and very well.

Conditioner:
In a spray bottle mix 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water.
Spray on hair, work through, message scalp and rinse well.
The vinegar smell goes away in less than five minutes.

Some big benefits:Very, very cheap
No plastic bottles repeatedly going to the landfill
No nasty chemicals, and there are a lot in shampoos and conditioners



ALL PURPOSE CLEANER

I've been using this for about 1 1/2 years also. I like it just as much as the laundry soap and would not consider switching back to store bought. It contains no harsh chemicals, no strong fumes, and you are not buying a new plastic bottle every time it runs out.

Here's the recipe:

In a large spray bottle mix the following in order

4 cups water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp. borax
1 tsp. ultra dish soap (I prefer Dawn)

Cost: Less than 10 cents.

Shake up the bottle and it's ready to use. There is no need to go behind an rinse after using this all purpose cleaner. It isn't sudsy or streaky. I use this for surface cleaning my kitchen and bathroom. I also use it for cleaning my floors.

LAUNDRY DETERGENT

I have been making my own laundry soap for about 1 1/2 years. I love it and will never switch back to store bought. This laundry soap is perfect for those who are trying to reduce their use of chemicals and plastics for health or environmental reasons. It is also extremely cheap.

Ingredients:
3 bars of Ivory Soap (you can also use Dove if your skin is sensitive)
1 1/2 cups of borax
1 1/2 cups of Sun Oxygen Clean

You can buy the borax and Sun Oxygen Clean in the laundry detergent section at Walmart and most grocery stores.

Grate 3 bars of soap as fine as you can. Stir in the other ingredients, this works best with your hands. Store in a plastic airtight container. Before you put it away, grab that scoop out of the Sun Oxygen Clean and put it in your laundry soap. One level scoop is all you need for a full load of laundry. If you are using cold water to wash you may need to let your laundry soak for 10-15 minutes so the soap will dissolve.

Cost: About $2.50 if you don't have coupons for any of the ingredients. This batch lasts me between 2-3 months.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I am Learning from Parenting