Truth

We say that we want it. We say that we will speak it. We say a lot of things that sure feel different when  the words become reality. How many times do we skirt the truth (evade) so we do not have to deal with a negative response? Or how about when you know the person asking really doesn't want the truth, they just want a nice answer so they can go on about their day feeling good that they asked after you?
What about the classic "Hey, how ya doing? Great, how are you"? Good...good."
That one usually leaves me shaking my head with a smile. I wonder why we don't just stop at "Hey".

 Sometimes the truth is easier to leave alone and sometimes the truth is the last thing we want to hear. I heard truth spoken today that relieved me as well as unsettled/saddened me. It's not my truth to tell so I won't go in to detail. I am thankful that it was said (the truth will set you free) and at the same time sorry to hear it. I think what is sadder is that it is a truth that should be freely spoken but will not be. Sometimes we act so shocked by truth that we keep others from speaking it lest we keel over. Due to our sin we judge harshly things that are not ours to judge (YES, THERE ARE THINGS THAT WE JUDGE) Sometimes in an effort to make sure that we do not give an appearance of condoning sin, we actually leave people with the impression that it is just better not to tell their sin because we couldn't handle it if they did.

I know we are to confess our faults one to another and we are to be very wise when choosing what that looks like in our life. So I ask, do we give off an atmosphere of grace that would lead others to feel as if they would be safe in confessing their faults to us? Even more to the point, do we as parents give the grace needed for our children to feel safe confessing their faults to us? Fellowship Leaders? Small group leaders? Husbands? Wives? Friends? Or are we so easily shocked at sin and so very quick to become self righteous (think, "well, I never!") that a person would not even think about looking to us for confession or counsel?
Yep, I am speaking to myself every time you see WE.

We go to Christ in confession because we KNOW that He is faithful to forgive us. We are forgiven and we are never condemned. He knows our every weakness and every temptation.
Do we, as imitators of Christ strive to do the same? Are we forgiving? Are we condemning? Do we forget our own sin and therefore cannot sympathize with our fellow sinners?

We are to be lovers of truth as children of God. But we are just as bad as everyone else when it comes to speaking and receiving truth. That's why we need a Savior!  Praise the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I am Learning from Parenting